Kinematics is the study of the motion of objects.
“Motion study” is a term for simulating and analysing the movement of mechanical assemblies and mechanisms. Traditionally, motion studies have been divided into two categories: kinematics and dynamics. Kinematics is the study of motion without regard to forces that cause it; dynamics is the study of motions that result from forces.
Kinematics is a simulation showing where all of the parts in an assembly are in time as it goes through a cycle. This technology is useful for simulating steady-state motion (with no accelerations) as well as in evaluating motions for interference purposes, reaction forces on the associated parts are also critical.
One of the reasons that solid modelling is becoming so popular it sets a foundation for so many other applications. You can now create working drawings and realistically render models that look like the real thing and generate physical models via rapid prototyping. Similarly, studying the motion of moving mechanisms and assemblies is fast becoming an important addition to solid modelling. PES has the experience and the tools to ensure our team can our clients too.
- Simulate mechanisms to develop efficient workable designs.
- View animations to identify and study aesthetics.
- Identify interferences among moving parts–and ‘design out’ immediately.
- Verify an entire mechanical system with numerous and even unrelated moving components.
- Plot out motion envelopes for designing casings ensuring clearances.
- Create animations of assembly sequences to plan for efficient manufacturing.
- Generate accurate load information for improved structural analysis.
This process also works is harmony with Finite Element Analysis (FEA)
If you would like to discuss your project and how our solutions can help you, then please call us for a chat at +44 (0) 114 321 6375 or email with your enquiry.