Mechanical Design Engineer
Sheffield – Advanced Manufacturing Park
Competitive Salary (Strictly no agencies please.)
Due to increasing demands on the business we are looking to recruit a number of exceptionally creative, motivated and talented design engineers to complement our team.
Performance Engineered Solutions (PES) Ltd is a dynamic high performance engineering design solutions business with a distinct expertise in component performance and composites optimisation that originates from Formula 1 motorsport.
PES has a uniquely experienced engineering team that provides a diverse range of solutions to clients across many sectors, and it is our ability to be agile and flexible that has seen our project portfolio grow year on year.
An increasing growth area for the business has been in reverse engineering using modern 3D scanning and rapid manufacturing techniques to reproduce and optimise legacy equipment in a variety of applications.
We are currently working on a range of very interesting projects across multiple sectors and the ideal candidate will need a variety of multidisciplinary skills to complement the team.
Reporting to the Principal Engineer, the successful candidate would have excellent interpersonal skills and be expected to work autonomously and interface directly between the client and/or sub-contractor.
They must have the ability to capture all requirements necessary to successfully drive the project through to completion. It is essential that the candidate can visualise early on what project success looks like and manage the road map required to get there.
Desirable requirements from prospective candidates would comprise the following:
- Experience working on multi-discipline engineering projects across a wide range of industries and markets;
- Have expertise or good knowledge of composite design including tooling and layup;
- Experience of 3D surfacing on irregular geometry;
- Design of jigs and fixtures to support components and assemblies for testing and manufacture;
- Working knowledge of pressure systems, including sealing and surface finish requirements for system integrity;
- Experience of testing performance requirements associated with the operation of your design and have had responsibility for contributing towards test specifications and test execution plans;
- Working knowledge of 3D optical Scanning to complement our 3D scanning business;
- Deliver and manage scope in accordance with engineering schedules (small and large) ensuring that deadlines are adhered to, keeping the client ‘in the loop’ on significant progress milestones through regular communication.
- Build and maintain rapport/relationships with both client and suppliers, sometimes reacting instantly to visit their premises to resolve issues as and when they arise;
- Periodically maintain and review project and design risk registers;
- Carry out risk assessments on any activities involving working offsite during data capture, assembly, installation and commissioning;
- Work autonomously whilst delivering and/or managing the complete contracted work scope;
- An understanding of commercial and legal obligations and commitments between all parties within projects;
- Manage employees including segmenting the work into packaged deliverables, delegating and translating your ideas to team members;
- Have obtained or are working towards a recognised institutional chartership or post graduate professional development scheme.
- Would be keen to work towards the responsibility of design authority for own designs or sub-contractors element within your responsible sphere of the project;
- Have produced or have a very good understanding of Finite Element models including classical structural calculation development to support your work;
- UK driving license.
It is mandatory when applying for the position that the candidate has:
- A mechanical, aeronautical, automotive or equivalent engineering degree. In exceptional circumstances, we would consider candidates with verified industrial experience and relevant vocational qualifications;
- Proficiency in the use of CAD, preferably Siemens NX;
- Knowledge of metallic and polymers and their behaviours within extreme environments;
- Comprehensive appreciation of conventional machining to minimise complexity by using standard cutter sizes, geometry, stock profiles and techniques to produce cost effective components;
- Broad knowledge of modern manufacturing techniques;
- Produced proposals and quotations, obtaining supplier costs and liaising with the client, managing expectations to win work;
- Taken minutes, tracked and maintained actions during key project discussions, internally and externally;
- Presented at design reviews in front of clients;
- Captured requirements and has input key sections into design specifications;
- A minimum of 6 years professional engineering experience, post degree. Ideally candidates will have worked in industry for 10 years, but will consider exceptional candidates where appropriate.
In addition the candidate should:
- Behave in the utmost professional manner, internally and externally, ensuring that the reputation of the company, brand, its culture and values are upheld;
- Be positive and have a friendly approach and attitude to work and opportunities;
- Have the ability to work in an open transparent culture of a small dynamic business, based on quality, customer satisfaction and effective delivery.
- Be pragmatic when using engineering judgment, drawing upon individual and others’ experience in the execution of sound engineering practice in a reasonably practicable manner.
- Be available to travel globally, sometimes independently.
- Be able to work at client premises when necessary to support the business.
If you feel you would like to join our team and meet the application criteria, then we would like to hear from you.
Please send your application, with a covering letter explaining why you should be considered for this role, to;
Strictly no agencies please.