Our client Runflat CBR aims for success in global tyre market
Our client, Runflat CBR, aims to revolutionise ‘runflat’ tyre technology and is expanding as they prepare for growth.
PES Performance engineers have helped Richard Lust and the Runflat CBR team to develop an insert that can be fitted into an ordinary wheel. This allows the driver to steer, accelerate and brake efficiently, even if all four tyres suffer a blowout.
Runflat CBR is the first runflat insert to provide all-tyres-down capability combined with long runflat distances, exceptional off-road capability and high speed drivability using standard wheels and tyres.
Beginning from a clean sheet, we worked with Richard to create an end-user ‘wishlist’, optimising the product design. This incorporated more than 30 design & engineering challenges including to:
• Deliver a world beating runflat performance
• Deliver distance and speed performance well in excess of those currently available
• Develop an effective and lightweight anti-friction concept for longer runflat distances
• Incorporate a new ‘cantilever’ construction concept for lighter weight without compromising performance
• Develop the ability to absorb or deflect ballistic attack
• Ensure fitting can be carried out in less than 15 minutes
• Create a design concept to suit different wheel sizes so reducing manufacturing lead time
• Create a flexible product range enabling variations for specific end-user requirements to be economically produced .
Runflat CBR outgrew their original base in the AMP Technology Centre and have now taken a larger unit on the Advanced Manufacturing Park (AMP), ahead of mass-manufacture of the products.
Richard, an engineer with nearly 30 years’ experience designing ‘runflats’, said: “We have now patented our revolutionary technology and are looking forward to sharing it with users across the globe from our new facility.”
See article in the Sheffield Star here.
View the Runflat CBR video.« View all Blog & News Entries